Automatically TimeMachine backups should be enabled
This is not directly a security or privacy setting, but you should frequently backup your Mac. Apples built-in backup solution “TimeMachine” is suitable for most cases.
How to fix it
macOS 13 - 14
- Go to “System Preferences” > General > “Time Machine”
- Click “Add backup disk” and choose a backup device/volume
- Under “Options” you can exclude folders from back (like Downloads) and configure the backup frequency.
macOS 10.11 – 12
- Go to “System Preferences” > “Time Machine”
- Click “Select backup disk” and choose a backup device/volume
- Select “Back Up Automatically”
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TIP AND DISCLAIMER!
Keep in mind: not every security and privacy setting is suitable for everyone. Enhancing the security can lead in losing functionality and/or comfort.
Before making changes, please backup your Mac! Do not make too many change at once. After changing your Mac, check if your normal usage of your Mac has changed in a way which fits to you. Are your really willing to loose some functionality and/or comfort?
Most important is, that you learn and understand what are the advantages and disadvantages of the security settings and that you are aware about the capabilities and risks of your Mac configuration.
To skip this result message from your next security scan, you can deactivate this check. FAQ: How to deactivate a check.
CHECK RESULTS BY SIMPLEUMCHECK DO NOT COVER ALL ASPECTS OF POSSIBLE SECURITY CHECKS OR MAYBE INCORRECT OR INCOMPLETE. THE RESULTS ARE ONLY CLUES FOR RECOMMENDATIONS TO IMPROVE SECURITY AND PRIVACY ON THE MAC.
The use of SimpleumCheck, the checks and FAQ articles are provided under the SimpleumCheck End User License Agreement (EULA).